Wednesday, January 28, 2009
Barefoot Contessa Tomato, Mozzarella and Pesto Panini
As you can tell, I love Barefoot Contessa. This panini is easy to make and it can be made with a panini press or with just a frying pan. Enjoy!
Tomato, Mozzarella, and Pesto Panini
2 large ripe beefsteak tomatoes
1 (16-ounce) ball fresh mozzarella
12 slices bakery white bread, sliced 1/2-inch thick
about 1 cup prepared pesto
unsalted butter, at room temperature
1) Preheat a panini grill machine.
2) Core the tomatoes and slice the tomatoes and mozzarella 1/4-inch thick.
3) Place the bread slices on a work surface. Spread each slice evenly with pesto.
4) Place a layer of mozzarella (about 2 slices) on half of the bread and cover with a layer of tomato. (If the tomatoes are large, it will only be one slice.)
5) Sprinkle the tomato with salt. Place the remaining slices of bread, pesto side down, on top.
6) Spread the top and bottom of each sandwich with softened butter.
Grill the sandwiches in batches on the panini grill for 2 to 3 minutes, until the mozzarella starts to ooze.
7) Cut each sandwich in half, and serve warm.
Photo courtesy of No Lemon Juice